Boils are painful, red lumps filled with pus on the skin above infected hair follicles.
To treat boils or styes, dermatologists recommend the following tips:
- Apply a warm compress and soak the boil or stye in warm water to reduce the pain.
- Hold a warm compress on it for 10 minutes up to four times per day.
- Taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen can help ease symptoms if your boil or stye is painful and make sure to read the instructions in order to take the correct dosage.
- Don’t try to squeeze or pop a boil or stye because it will increase the risk of spreading the bacteria to the other eye.
- Keep it covered with a sterile bandage or gauze to prevent infection while it heals.